What is Online Interior Design?
Online interior design is all about convenience and utilizing technology in the comfort and safety of your home to obtain professional interior design services at a reasonable cost and in a short period of time. It’s a collaboration between client and designer to achieve a room design plan via several means of communication including phone, video, camera, text message, email, and Internet.
What are the Advantages of Hiring an Interior Designer via Online Design?
• You can stay home and still have your room beautifully designed by an interior designer
• You don’t have to go anywhere – all the products are delivered to your door
• It saves you time and energy because you don’t have to “shop around”
• You can shop online at your leisure, day or night
• You don’t have to make any decisions—the design selections are made by your experienced designer
• You can decorate your space at your own pace and when your budget permits
• It reduces shopping “overwhelm” – where to shop online and what to buy is delivered to you in your Design Plan
• A cohesive design style is created just for you – you can feel confident your room will look great!
• It ensures your furnishings are to scale and proportion for your room
• You can see your Design Plan before you commit to purchasing
• You avoid costly mistakes
• You will stay within your budget
How Does Online Design Work and What is Included?
This is the online design process, step by step:
1. Questionnaire – You fill out a detailed questionnaire which includes preferences for colors, style, budget, timeline, your intention, your inspiration and much more.
2. Your Homework – Take measurements of your space and existing furnishings. Take good photos and video of your space. Send pictures of items you like from the Internet so I get an idea of your preferences. Upload all this information into my Design program.
3. 30-Minute Pre-Design Conference Call – We have a discussion based on your questionnaire answers and your homework submission about what sort of design you are seeking, your style preferences, the package you’re interested in and how you’d like to proceed.
4. Inspiration Board – Based on the information gleaned from our phone call, I create an Inspiration Board which consists of suggestions for paint palette, lighting, furniture, and accessories (depending on the package you select).
5. Final Design Plan – Once I receive your feedback on the Inspiration Board, I create your Interior Design Plan, shopping list of where and what to buy with purchase links, and styling instructions. (My Exclusive package includes a floor plan.)
6. Execution – You shop online at your leisure according to my shopping list and pull your room together according to my styling instructions once everything has been delivered. I provide a post-delivery conference call with my Exclusive package to assist with hanging artwork, styling tables, or any other design need you may have. Additionally, if you don’t have the knack for styling yourself, I offer on-site decor styling. You can sit back, relax, and I’ll do all the styling for you. Voilà! In no time your room looks beautiful, cohesive and polished.
Who Should and Should Not Hire an Online Designer?
Let’s be realistic: hiring a virtual interior designer is not for everyone. If you don’t want to be too involved because you don’t have time and you need someone to take control and manage every step in the process, then a traditional interior designer is most likely for you.
On the other hand, if you don’t mind do-it-yourself tasks like applying paint samples, measuring walls, moving furniture, and hanging artwork, Online Design may be the answer to your decorating needs. This isn’t a complete list, but it will give you a good idea whether a virtual designer or traditional designer would be the best fit for you.
Hire an Online Designer if you are able to
• Measure and photograph your space
• Articulate exactly what you prefer through inspiration pictures and product links
• Desire to have a custom Design Plan created for you with a few weeks
• Order online products and handle returns yourself
• Hire tradesmen (such as painter, electrician) yourself
Hire a Traditional Interior Designer if you prefer
• In-home consultation
• Detailed room measurements and photos taken for you
• Multiple sample books (paint, wallpaper, flooring, fabric) brought to your home
• Custom-designed anything (cabinetry, window treatments, furniture, etc)
• Construction drawings
• Furniture and accessories procurement handled for you
• Deliveries and installation arranged by designer for a “reveal”